[odb-users] memSQL support

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Sep 19 10:13:42 EDT 2019

Cezan Meyen <cezanmeyen at gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if memSQL is supported or can be supported with some small
> alterations. memSQL is a relatively new well performing RDBMS that is 100%
> compatible with MySQL. It should then in theory be as simple as generating
> code for MySQL and then linking it to the memSQL database. Since ODB
> provides libraries per database I was wondering if altering the library
> might work for memSQL or if the lib is completely depended on MySQL and
> altering would not work at all.

We already kind of do it for the MySQL and MariaDB support. So if memSQL
uses the client library from MySQL or has its own client library that
is (mostly) API compatible with memSQL (MarisDB's case), then this
should be doable.

If you get the latest source[1] and grep for `mariadb` (case-insensitive),
you can get a sense of what might need to be adjusted. If the changes are
not too hairy, we may even consider upstreaming them (though we will need
to first package memSQL's client library, if there is one, similar to
MySQL and MariaDB[2]).

[1] The git repo is here:

    https://git.codesynthesis.com/cgit/odb/

    Or you can build the fairly recent snapshot by following these
    instructions:

    https://codesynthesis.com/products/odb/doc/install-build2.xhtml

    But using the staging repository:

    https://build2.org/community.xhtml#stage