[odb-users] Switch to clang?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Nov 25 08:05:45 EST 2019

Andrew Cunningham <odb at a-cunningham.com> writes:

> Have you thought about switching to clang for your C++
> parser/code-generator?

This question comes up from time to time. It will be at least a
substantial effort. But it's also not clear if Clang has all the
capabilities that we need. One, in particular, is the ability to
instantiate templates after parsing of the translation unit is
complete. Last time I checks (which was admittedly a while ago),
this was impossible in Clang.

> ODB code generation is painfully slow on Windows.

Do you have any evidence that switching to Clang will significantly
improve compilation speed? In my experience, these days GCC's compiles
about as fast as Clang.

I am also assuming that you are using an optimized build of ODB (and
another thing that might help is running ODB compilation jobs in
parallel).