[odb-users] 2.5.0 release date?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Mar 4 08:49:11 EST 2019

Sean Clarke <sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk> writes:

>    I appreciate that is great for getting a build together for development,
> however the advantage of the official releases are you can then look
> towards getting the platform/distro specific packages (.deb, rpm etc) and
> use the upgrade/management hooks of the OS's.

Yes, I agree, there is that benefit. This is why we are still planning
a release.

One serious problem with platform distributions is that they can be
quite slow to upgrade. In fact, we've had one pretty bad case:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libodb/+bug/1588330

Notice how long it took (8 months) to fix this bug (in an LTS release,
of all places) when all that required was a rebuild. This experience
made it painfully clear that we need a distribution channel that is
a lot more responsive.