[odb-users] Re: Joined queries

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Mar 10 11:48:36 EDT 2015

Hi Nicholas,

Nicholas Cremonesi <nicholas.cremonesi at gmail.com> writes:

> My database consists of over a hundred tables and I cannot know before
> compilation all possible 'join' queries I'll need. How do you advise me
> to proceed?

Can you know before compilation all possible "result sets" (i.e., number,
type, and order of columns) that you will need?

If the answer is "yes", then you can use native views with complete
queries specified at runtime as text. Not going to be pretty or
convenient, but possible.

If the answer if "no", then you should probably use something other
than ODB.

Generally, ODB, is best suited for situations where you know before
runtime what you are going to do. Then the ODB compiler can "implement"
a lot of it for you.