[odb-users] slow persist for bulk insert

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Oct 29 06:36:56 EDT 2014

Hi Erez,

Please keep your replies CC'ed to the odb-users mailing list,
as discussed in the posting guidelines:

http://codesynthesis.com/support/posting-guidelines.xhtml

Erez GB <erezgb at walla.com> writes:

> My web client is sending the HTML format, not sure I can change :-(

Perhaps get a better mail client? We don't have such problems with
GMail, for example.

> I get a big differance by grouping together many inserts using a single
> transaction commit, testing with different batch numbers seems 100K-200K
> is the right limit, as the commit time gets longer as the batch grows.
>
> There is still a little advantage to prepared query inserts but not as big,

You keep implying that ODB doesn't use prepared statements while I keep
telling you that it only uses prepared statements. If you want to continue
to receive my help you need to start paying attention to what I am saying
and stop repeating things that I have already told you are false.

> 17 secs in prepared query to 46 secs to ODB when inserting 200k records,
> 10 secs in prepared query to 22 secs to ODB when inserting 100k records.
>
> What do you think can be the cause of this ?

My guess is you are comparing apples to oranges. Show me the following
three things and I will take a look:

1. Your hand-coded transaction (the one you call "prepared query inserts").

2. Your ODB-based transaction.

3. Your persistent class that you are using in #2.