[odb-users] design questions: c++ / python / sqlite

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu May 22 14:47:52 EDT 2014

Hi,

MM <finjulhich at gmail.com> writes:

> I just meant that a given class is defined in C++. I would expose that
> class in python with boost.python perhaps, and then use those classes in
> python to access the sqlite db through python.sqlite

This doesn't make much sense to me. You have C++ classes that you
can persist in the database with ODB. You expose them to python via
Boost.Python. You then use these classes and SQLite support in Python
to access their state in database? Why? That is already handled by ODB
on the C++ side.

> Is there a way to make this map to a single table that holds 10 rows where
> the primary key is name, and the other things are other columns, and yet on
> created?

What you are looking for is the table-per-hierarchy mapping for
inheritance. This is currently not supported by ODB. See Section
8.2, "Polymorphism Inheritance" in the ODB manual for details.

> If not, how to change my simple class hierarchy?

You don't really have to change anything. Just use the table-per-
difference mapping supported by ODB. You will end up with some
extra tables that (seemingly) are not necessary, but other than
that, everything will work as expected. In fact, the root table
will look as if you were using the table-per-hierarchy mapping
so if your Python code only needs to read the data, then you
can treat it in Python as such.