[odb-users] sqlite schema evolution and unsupported drop column

MM finjulhich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 08:04:45 EDT 2014

On 9 June 2014 12:50, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> MM <finjulhich at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > error : SQLite does not support dropping of columns
> >
> > How do I go about making changes and keep the changelog and everything
> else
> > in sync?
>
> I bet you haven't read sub-Section 18.5.7, "Database Schema Evolution" in
> the SQLite limitations section. If so, then that would be a really good
> place to start.

"In particular, you cannot add the --sqlite-override-null option when you
realize you need to delete a data member. At this point it is too late
since the column has already been added as NOT NULL in existing databases"

Yes, it is too late.

At this point, I can start the whole thing from scratch (new changelog
file...), put the sqlite override option in the odb calls, and refill the
new db once generated from the old db, manually.