[odb-users] ODB compiler does not handle UTF-8 with BOM properly

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jul 1 05:20:05 EDT 2014

Stanislav Ivochkin <isn at extrn.org> writes:

> When running ODB compiler on UTF-8 with BOM encoded headers it reports
> errors:
>
> file.h:1:1: error: stray ‘\357’ in program
> file.h:1:1: error: stray ‘\273’ in program
> file.h:1:1: error: stray ‘\277’ in program
>
> Note that the same error is reported by some versions of gcc that lack BOM
> support.

I did some searching and apparently BOM support was added to GCC around
2008. So any version of GCC that is used by ODB should support this.

I also found this page which suggest the problem is not the BOM:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7899795/is-it-possible-to-get-gcc-to-compile-utf-8-with-bom-source-files