[odb-users] Question - using ODB with g++ 3.2.3

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Sep 16 04:23:34 EDT 2013

Hi Amit,

Amit Danziger <amit.danziger at gmail.com> writes:

> Officially ODB is supported with g++ 4.2.x - 4.7.x.
> I am aware of this. But unfortunately I am using RHEL 3 which includes g++
> (GCC) 3.2.3 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-20).
>
> Does anyone have any idea whether I could use ODB with an old compiler?
> Any specific issues/features I should check?

To add to what Dave already said, for building ODB-based applications
officially we only support g++ 4.2 and up. By officially I mean we make
sure every test in the ODB test suite compiles and runs fine with this
version, for every release.

You may be able to get away with g++ 3.4 seeing that we managed to
support VC++ 8. But I doubt 3.2 will work, it is just too old.

Also, as Dave mentioned, the ODB compiler has even stricter g++
requirements (4.5 and up). But you could always generate the code
on a newer box and then copy it over and compile on EL3. Not ideal
but workable.