[odb-users] Building on Debian (testing/jessie)

Adrian Imboden adrian at adi-ware.ch
Thu May 30 19:33:07 EDT 2013

Hello there

I found out about odb because of the very interesting C++Now presentation.

Today, I wanted to build the odb suite myself (because there only exists
a dpkg package for the odb compiler and not for the boost extension and
the database backends).

When I want to build odb compiler, I get this output:

# ./bootstrap
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
configure.ac:12: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_equote
       See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:12: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_ifdef
configure.ac:12: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_AR
configure.ac:141: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Is building on Debian supported or not? If not, I would be willing to
invest time into make it build there. I don't have much experience
(yet?) with automake build systems tough.

I just upgraded my system from wheezy to Jessie because I suspected that
the required automake version is higher than my installed one (Google
suggested that to me). If this is the case, even the testing release of
Debian has a version that is too old...

Thank you very much.

Greetings
Adi