[odb-users] Installing Odb Compiler

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Mar 5 15:01:36 EST 2013

Hi Nathan,

Nathan White <newhite at rslfibersystems.com> writes:

> I used the install-unix.xhtml website to install everything. I had to
> manually download the archive and extract it into a file rather than
> using the command "sudo dpkg -i odb_x.y.z-n_<arch>.deb"

Why did you have to use an archive? Did installing via .deb file not
work for some reason? It would also be helpful to know which OS you
are using (is it even GNU/Linux)?

Generally, if you are using Debian or Ubuntu, then you should use
the .deb package.

If you are using Fedora, RHEL, or CentOS, then you should use the
.rpm package.

For all other GNU/Linux distributions or other OS (e.g., Mac OS X,
Solaris), use the .tar.bz2 archive. Specifically, after downloading
the archive, you need to extract it into a directory of your choice.
For example, to unpack it into /opt (on Solaris use gtar instead of
tar):

cd /opt
sudo bzip -dc odb-x.y.z-<arch>-<os>.tar.bz2 | tar xf -

Here x.y.z stands for the ODB version (currently 2.2.0), <arch>
stands for the CPU architecture and <os> stands for the OS you
use.

Once this is done, you should be able to run the ODB compiler like
this:

/opt/odb-x.y.z-<arch>-<os>/bin/odb -d sqlite person.hxx

If one of the above steps doesn't work for you, please provide more
information, such as the exact command line that you used and the
error message that you get.