[odb-users] odb-2.2.1 should install the odb.so plugin into $(gcc -print-file-name=plugin)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Mar 4 07:48:45 EST 2013

Hi Hugo,

Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de <Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de> writes:

> So, if you switch between gcc versions, the plugin does not match the
> compiler version. On Gentoo at least, plugins can be installed into
> '/usr/libexec/gcc/<os>/<gcc-version>/plugin/', which should solve this
> problem because gcc then selects the right path depending on its own
> version.

Yes, I can see how this can be a problem.

> A plugin can be simply given by its short name (no dots or slashes).

This functionality was added in GCC 4.6 and is not available in 4.5.
Because of that and also because ODB can be installed into a separate
--prefix compared to GCC, I don't think it would be a good idea to
install the plugin into the GCC sub-directory by default. So we could
have a configure option like --default-plugin-dir.

On the other hand, if GCC is >=4.6 and ODB and GCC prefixes are the
same, then I don't see any harm installing the plugin into GCC by
default. The problem is there doesn't seem to be an easy way to
figure out GCC's prefix.

What do you think?