[odb-users] gcc plugin support on RHEL/CentOS 5 and 6?

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Jan 11 11:32:41 EST 2013

Hi Dave,

Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> writes:

> You're right about building gcc as part of building the ODB compiler
> being a pain, but I think it's the best option in the long run.

I think the long-term solution should be to migrate to RHEL 7 where
we can build and package everything using the stock GCC.

Another option would be to look if anyone packaged GCC 4.5 or later
(with plugin support enabled) for RHEL 5/6. Then we can just use that
package as a prerequisite instead of including a private copy of GCC.

> It means that everything that is needed is contained in the source RPM
> and can be viewed and changed in one location and then the binary RPM
> regenerated as needed. It makes audits/inspections of the code/RPM
> easier and means that everything can be done in one place instead of
> grabbing pieces from several places and bundling them up.

True, though you still need to get the source code for ODB. With
my approach you will just be getting a binary package instead of
the source one.

> Is there somewhere that I can get access to how you built and
> packaged gcc for your binary releases of the compiler?

Those scripts are not in the repository (yet), so I copied them for
your here:

http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/tmp/odb/linux-gnu.tar.bz2

Specifically, look into gcc-configure and build-gcc. Note also that
we build it on an old Debian distro (Sarge).