[odb-users] sqlite test failure on CentOS 6

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:22:00 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I just built libodb-sqlite-2.1.1 on CentOS and ran the tests and one of
> > the
> > tests failed. When doing the configure, I got the following warning:
> > configure: WARNING: libsqlite3 is built without sqlite3_unlock_notify
> > support; multi-threaded support will be limited
> >
> > And then when running the test common/threads, it printed "database
> > operation timeout" a bunch and then failed.
>
> As Hugo mentioned in his reply, ODB needs the SQLite unlock notification
> functionality to support multi-threaded database access. Without this
> support the 'threads' test in the test suite will fail.
>
> These days most recent distributions already build SQLite with unlock
> notify enabled by default (I've heard it is required by Mozilla, among
> other projects). I guess CentOS 6 hasn't switched yet. I see two ways
> to resolve the test failure:
>
> 1. Find libsqlite3 that has unlock notify enabled. As Hugo suggested,
>    maybe there is an alternative/updated package.
>
> 2. If all else fails, you can disable the 'threads' test by passing
>    the --disable-threads configure option to the test suite.

There doesn't appear to be an alternate package in the CentOS or EPEL
repos. There's one in Atomic (
http://pkgs.org/centos-6-rhel-6/atomic-i386/sqlite-3.7.9-1.el6.art.i686.rpm.html
), but I'm not sure if it has the appropriate build flags set or not.
For now, I'll just run the tests with --disable-threads since I won't
be using multi-threaded database access.
Thanks,
Dave