[odb-users] Re: Accessing ODB database from other languages

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Thu Oct 20 09:05:00 EDT 2011

Hi Raphael,

Raphael Bossek <raphael.bossek at estos.de> writes:

> In the meantime the question came up, if it will be big effort to
> access the database created by ODB using LINQ in C#. We do not know
> how ODB manage the DB and we would like to CRUD access the database
> from other programming environments too. Is there any guidelines we
> should read and apply for our design?

I don't see any problem with this.

ODB supports two modes of operation when it comes to the relational
database management. You can either ask ODB to generate the database
schema automatically from persistent classes or you can create the
database schema manually and then map your persistent classes to
corresponding tables, data members to columns, and C++ types to SQL
types.

In the first mode, ODB will generated what we call a "canonical"
schema for your C++ model. This schema will be pretty close to what
an experienced database model designer would write by hand. In the
second mode you create the schema yourself so you have full control
over how the database will look.

So in both cases there shouldn't be any problem in accessing the data
from another programming environment since most ORM frameworks/libraries
are designed to work with custom schemas.