[odb-users] Re: Explain please the essence of the strange update_statement

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Oct 3 08:54:11 EDT 2011

Hi Viacheslav,

Вячеслав Спиридонов <art at it-gen.net> writes:

> Tests have not confirmed any delay when using surplus appropriation.
> The database implementation is STILL REALLY smart enough to detect
> this and not do anything expensive.

Thanks for sharing your test results.

Even though there doesn't seem to be any performance impact (at least
in case of MySQL), we have decided to change the way we do it now and
avoid sending object id in UNDATE statements. The added benefit of this
change is that we will be able to implement proper const/read-only data
members.

Unfortunately, because these changes are quite significant, we could
not make them in time for the upcoming release. So there won't be read-
only support in 1.6.0. But, we will implement this support first thing
after the release and I will build you a pre-release as soon as it is
ready. I hope this will work for you.