[xsde-users] XSD/e 3.2.0 released

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Feb 15 08:49:20 EST 2011

Hi Ivan,

Ivan Le Lann <ivan.lelann at free.fr> writes:

> Could any_type and 'passthrough' efforts lead to built-in xs:any support
> in future XSD/e Hydrid release ?

The problem with storing raw XML in any_type is that it can have the
mixed content structure (interleaved elements and text). It is possible
to implement a simple and cheap DOM-like structure without the support
for mixed content, which is what is done in the passthrough example.
This support will also satisfy 90% of the use-cases. On the other hand,
supporting mixed content complicates things significantly. If we to
provide generic raw XML support in any_type/xs:any, we would have to have
support for mixed content which won't be used by majority of the users
and which will be quite expensive, footprint-wise. So for now we have
decided to by default ignore the content in xs:any/any_type and let
you customize the object model if you need this functionality. Since
in most cases you won't need mixed content support, this should be
fairly easy to do.