[xsd-users] CodeSynthesis/tree (version 4.0.0) and Nvidia NVCC compiler (CUDA version 7.0)

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Jul 15 13:11:34 EDT 2015

All,

All Herald <loredofilms1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks for the response. Looked at XSD/e and still having the same
> issue. The problem is that the NVCC Compiler (CUDA 7.0) has this hard memory
> limitation. Even with a fairly small schema of just a few bytes if you make
> repeated calls the global const memory accumulates and very soon you hit
> that hard limit imposed by the NVCC Compiler. So the issue quite frankly is
> with the compiler, but that being said, the compiler is what it is. Would
> you be able to download the the NVCC CUDA 7 compiler and take a look at this
> if I send you a small example? You can probably recreate this easily of you
> try and compile and link using a small schema repeatedly and includes the
> CodeSynthesis headers. One possible way around this was to potentially to
> try and use precompiled headers, but alas the NVCC compiler does not
> currently support this feature.

While I can try to reproduce this myself by downloading the NVCC
compiler, etc., I would much prefer if you help "jump-start" my
understanding of the problem and possible solutions. And, to be
honest, I am just as clueless about what's going on as after your
first email. Specifically: what exactly exhausts this "global const
memory"? Is it the header sizes? Something specific in the headers?
Number of inclusions?

You say:

"Even with a fairly small schema of just a few bytes if you make
 repeated calls [...]"

What "calls" are you talking about? Calls to what exactly?

Then you say:

"[...] try and compile and link using a small schema repeatedly [...]"

This doesn't make any sense to me at all: does this memory somehow
persist over compile/link cycles? If so, can't you clear it before
each recompile?