[xsd-users] Ignoring unknown attributes/elements as if there were a wildcard in schema

Vladimir Zykov vladimir.zykov at ncloudtech.ru
Wed May 7 06:23:35 EDT 2014

Hi Boris,

Is there any way to ignore/not validate attributes/elements that were not declared in schema but which occur
in an XML instance? This might sound strange that we have XML schema that only partially describes XML
markup but this is how Office Open XML handles extensions to the format. There is Markup Compatibility and
Extensibility mechanism that allows certain attributes/elements anywhere in an XML document. Currently we
add xs:anyAttribute/xs:any to complex types which we found can contain those MC extensions but this is
tedious and will not work reliably (unless we add wildcards to all complex types). Maybe there is a simpler
way to fix it. We use XSD version 4.0.0.a14 in cxx-tree mode.

Thanks

Vladimir Zykov
Software Engineer
New Cloud Technologies, LLC