[xsd-users] cxx-tree and XPath

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Mon Mar 3 04:58:32 EST 2014

Hi Mathew,

Mathew Benson <mathew.benson at gmail.com> writes:

> I found this in the manual but it appears that it keeps the initial
> document in memory for searches, and then retrieves the object from the
> tree.  Does it really keep the document as well as the object tree in
> memory?

Yes, that's correct. To run XPath you need a type-less model (DOM).

> My current project is small, but I may eventually decide to extend
> it to a much larger project with a 1GB+ XML file.  How well does the
> xsd implementation scale up to large DOM's?

If you want to use XPath, then you will obviously incur some memory
overhead because of DOM. Without XPath, C++/Tree allows you to handle
very large documents with relatively small memory consumption using
the streaming mechanism (see the 'streaming' example).