[xsd-users] License and Portability

Klaim - Joël Lamotte mjklaim at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 10:53:28 EDT 2011

Hi Boris,

2011/6/19 Boris Kolpackov <boris at codesynthesis.com>

> In addition to the GPL we also have the Free/Libre and Open Source Software
> (FLOSS) exception which, provided you actually build something useful on
> top
> of the generated code, allows you to effectively re-license the generated
> code
> under other open-source licenses, including MIT. For more information see
> the
> FLOSSE text which has a nice "Intent" section including more detail on
> situations where it can and cannot be used:
>
> http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/FLOSSE

Yes, I've read it after my first mail and now I'm just not sure if I'm in
case a) or b).
I'll describe in details my current way of using xsd :

In my project (under MIT) I have several parts currently :

 - aosl : an xsd file (everything depends on it)
 - aoslcpp : a C++ (dynamic) library providing the XML parsing, model (all
generated by xsd) and data requests (functions I'm adding)
 - aosdesigner : a C++/Qt application (executable) using aoslcpp and
providing a graphic edition tool

What I need is :

 1. to be able to provide all the sources for free - OK
 2. to allow anyone to take any part of my project to make :
   a) a variant of the edition tool (aosdesigner)
   b) an additional tool that would use aoslcpp
 3. I need 2 to be allowed for some companies wishing to derive my work for
their own need and be able to sell it.

>From what I understand that you're saying, all that is allowed, right?
Because, when I read the FLOSSE document, I'm not sure if 3 is allowed or if
it requires me that I change the organisation of the project?

2.a. Is required because what I'm building is a mountage tool that generate
an abstract description of something and I need anyone to be able to build a
"player" from it.
Or even to "generate" an executable from the edited xml files. So using
aoslcpp(that is mainly code generated via xsd) as library to build such
generator or player
will help greatly implementations.

So, in this specific case, am I allowed to continue like this or should I
make aoslcpp a static library or something? I'm a bit lost now...

Joël Lamotte