[xsd-users] License and Portability

Peter Backes rtc at cdl.uni-saarland.de
Fri Jul 8 06:15:54 EDT 2011

Benjamin,

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 01:18:05PM +0200, Benjamin Schindler wrote:
> Reread what I said - I never said you're wrong. I said you are not in a
> position to make an informed statement and you just confirmed this by
> saying "I may be wrong".

Everyone may be wrong. I am as much in a position to make an "informed"
(what does informedness matter anyway; what counts is the truth of what
I say) statement as anyone else.  Lawyers, experts, etc, they have no
privileged access to the truth. Truth is absolute and the same for
everyone, and I can only regard statements of the contrary as
authoritarian.  You provide no arguments and reject mine purely based
on the claim that some people can make informed statements and some
cannot, and I am among the latter.  You are not in a position to make
an informed statement on matters concerning the status, necessity and
relevance of informed statements, to speak in your language.

> Yes, you tried and failed. Boris does not intend to change the license
> of the generated code. So the only option you have is to force him
> change it by means of going to court. Or you just ignore it and wait for
> him to sue you. But if you loose, you have a big problem

Boris cannot give a license on the generated code because he doesn't
have copyright on it in the first place. I quoted the GPL FAQ, which is
unabiguous in this respect. Anyone who denies this is denying the
obvious.

I do not want to force Boris to do anything, I merely want to argue
that his copyright claim has no basis. What consequences he draws from
this is up to him. I cannot sue Boris because he has not done something
illegal--"copyfraud" (claiming a copyright you don't have) is legal.
Even if I could sue Boris I wouldn't do it. I am not a copyright troll.

Boris has no way to sue me. There is freedom of speech. If I want to
attack Boris' claim of copyright, I can do this. It's completely legal.

> You're mixing "independent from legal" and copyright in one sentence?
> This is ridiculous. We're dealing with copyright so it's by definition a
> legal matter.

I don't like to quarrel about words. But there is a difference between
what is legal and what you should do. Even if Boris is right about his
copyright claim, it doesn't mean he should make it.

> I cannot tell whether the way Boris deals with it is the best way. But
> he has made a decision and doesn't seem willing to change this. So
> please just accept that?

There is nothing to accept, I am merely stating the facts that Boris
has no copyright claim on the generated code and doesn't need one. What
Boris does because of that is up to him.

XSD is Free Software, so there is no fundamental problem. But:
- IMO, nobody should rely on the FLOSSE. People should release their
software under GPLv2+ if they are using XSD, such that the FLOSSE is
not needed.
- Unclear and too-clever legal constructions like the FLOSSE should not
be used. Simpler and more practical solutions should be used instead.
- Nobody should and nobody ever needs to claim copyright on generated
code, nobody should try to exploit such grey areas of the law,
especially not Free Software.
- Code should always be licensed "or any later version" for practical
reasons, at least using a proxy (see GPLv3) if there are reservations
against the FSF.

XSD is great software and it's Free Software. Please don't read my
statements as a *fundamental* criticism. There is no problem with using
XSD.

Regards
Peter

--
Peter Backes, rtc at cdl.uni-saarland.de            Office 403
Compiler Design Lab, Saarland University         Campus E1 3