[xsd-users] how to make arbitrary element insertions in a "mixed" sequence of elements where the CodeSynthesis data model does not adequately describe the ordering of elements

Wheeler, Bill NPO bill.npo.wheeler at intel.com
Mon Nov 8 11:50:33 EST 2010

Boris,

   Thanks for your response.  After reading thru the material, I can appreciate how type customization acts as a low-level tool for me to override parsing and serialization functions to handle my arbitrary insertion of different element types into a list such that the order of these elements is important and maintainable.  However, I wanted to validate with you what the overall implementation approach would be as the cited examples stop short of describing this and I don't fully understand the underlying implementation of your design.  Here's my idea of what this might look like:

	1) After reading/parsing an XML file, traverse across the A_elem and B_elem datamodel lists.  For each element, find the underlying DOM node and infer its node position on the child list of the parent DOM node.  Then place the A_elem (or B_elem) element on a "common order list" to reflect the overall ordering.
	2) When I choose to insert new A or B elements at arbitrary positions in the order, insert them onto this common order list, to describe their relative position.
	3) At serialization time, using my own overridden "operator<<" function, wait until the last serialization call has been made for all the A and B elems.  When that final serialization call is made, all the DOM nodes are now known and can then be re-ordered based on the common order list.

Is this approach valid, or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Bill