[xsd-users] Compatibility question between XSD 3.2 or greater and xerces-c 2.8

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Jun 9 03:51:12 EDT 2010

Hi Laura,

Laura E Fowler <Laura_E_Fowler at raytheon.com> writes:

> I know you recommend using xerces-c 3.x when using XSD 3.2 or greater, but
> what are the implications of using xerces-c 2.8? We have a platform where
> we are locked into xerces-c 2.8, but are considering upgrading to the
> latest XSD version. Will we have so many problems that we shouldn't
> consider upgrading from 3.1? Any information you can provide to help us
> decide would be appreciated.

In XSD 3.x we support both Xerces-C++ 3 and 2-series so both should
work equally well sans the differences in Xerces-C++ itself. I think
it is pretty safe for you to upgrade to the latest version of XSD,
which is 3.3.0.

At the same time, in the next major release of XSD (4.0.0) we are going
to drop support for Xerces-C++ 2-series. We may still make bugfix-
only releases for XSD 3.3 should they be needed though no new features
will be added.