[xsd-users] Substitution groups & determining run-time type

Durkan, Ian ian.durkan at progeny.net
Wed Nov 11 10:48:08 EST 2009

Greetings,

Using XSD-Tree:

I'm in a situation where I need to determine the type of an element at
runtime, when the element may be any of a substitution group.  I
understand how to use dynamic_cast<T> to determine the run-time type of
the element object, but I'm concerned about the performance of this
method vs. accessing the DOMElement behind the object and calling its
getTagName function and performing a string comparison.  Does anyone
have information about which approach would yield better performance?

I appreciate any help or insights given.

Ian Durkan

ian . durkan <at> progeny . net <mailto:ian.durkan at progeny.net>