[xsd-users] C++/Hybrid , xsi:nil

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Apr 10 09:35:15 EDT 2009

Hi dmitry,

<dkodko at yahoo.com> writes:

> 1. what would be the timeline for adopting/implementing C++/Serializer,
     C++/Hybrid approaches to XSD (since XSDe already has it released)

There are currently no immediate plans to port these two mapping to
XSD though we may do this some time in the future. We first want to
let them mature and become more or less feature-complete in XSD/e so
that we don't maintain two similar code bases.

Also note that nothing prevents you from using XSD/e even on non-
embedded, general-purpose platforms. If you configure the runtime
and generated code with STL, C++ exceptions, and iostream enabled,
you will get pretty much what will end up in XSD.

> 2. regarding nillable and xsi:nil i did trace several discussions and
     i believe there are substential grounds for having nillable/xsi:nil
     implemented [...]

This feature is very awkward to use in the XML documents which is
probably why very few real-world schemas use it. I think you are the
second or third person asking about it over the past several years.
There will also be quite a bit of work to support it in C++/Tree.
In particular, we will need to provide special versions of the one,
optional, and sequence containers for nilable elements. Overall, this
does not seem like a rational way to spend our resources. You therefore
have choice of either implementing it yourself (and possible contributing
the changes back) or having us implement it on a commercial basis as a
custom development service.