[xsd-users] XSD compile problems

Pontus Åström Pontus.Astrom at csr.com
Tue Jun 10 07:53:23 EDT 2008

Hi,

First, congrats to an excellent package. I have been using it for a while in my projects with ease.

I now want to compile it from sources so I easily can store it in my repository. For compilation I followed the guides given in http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/extras/build-unix.xhtml. My geneal comments regarding the build is:
1. It is quite complicated to automate the process due to the interactive nature of the configuration. Nevertheless it is possible with tools like ezpect.
2. The makefiles are nonstandard. It would simplify for end users if it was more standards conformant and utilized for instance autotools or similar.
3. No distclean option exists so to preform a clean build on has to do 'make clean; find . -name "*-dynamic.make" -type f -delete'. This is a bit awkward.
4. During compile the actual compile commands are not shown. This makes it difficult to debug errors during compilations. It would be good if the exact commands executed are shown.

During the compile I got some specific problems that I have difficulty to solve>
1. Compiling libcult with gcc 4.2.1 and binutils 2.18 results in segmentation fault in ld:

ld /home/pa01/ws/syde/MAIN/ext/src/codesynthesis.com/libcult/cult/cult.l
c++ /home/pa01/ws/syde/MAIN/ext/src/codesynthesis.com/libcult/examples/cli/cli.cxx
ld /home/pa01/ws/syde/MAIN/ext/src/codesynthesis.com/libcult/examples/cli/cli
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault]
make: *** [/home/pa01/ws/syde/MAIN/ext/src/codesynthesis.com/libcult/examples/cli/cli] Error 1

My question is if there are known issues with this combination of compiler and binutils packages. For instance the combo gcc 4.1.1 with binutils 2.18 compiles libcult with no problems but that version of gcc is pretty poor and I rather not use it.

2. When compiling libxsd-frontend I get linking errors. Below is the first such linking error message I get. I have selected to link against the installed version of boost. I have tried to add the option -L/path/too/boost/install/lib under 'extra C++ linker options' in the configuration bit this does not work. I wonder if there is anything else I can try to solve the compile error?

ld /home/pa01/ws/syde/MAIN/ext/src/codesynthesis.com/libxsd-frontend/tests/dump/driver
/home/pa01/ws/syde/MAIN/ext/src/codesynthesis.com/libxsd-frontend/tests/dump/driver.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)':
driver.cxx:(.text+0x25): undefined reference to `boost::system::get_system_category()'
driver.cxx:(.text+0x2f): undefined reference to `boost::system::get_posix_category()'
driver.cxx:(.text+0x39): undefined reference to `boost::system::get_posix_category()'
driver.cxx:(.text+0x43): undefined reference to `boost::system::get_system_category()'

Best regards,

Pontus