[xsd-users] Q on Binary Serialization

Ray Lischner rlischner at proteus-technologies.com
Wed Feb 20 15:15:16 EST 2008

ASN.1 PER is a standard, highly packed, binary representation that would work well with Code Synthesis. I haven't implemented it, but I have implemented ASN.1 DER, which is less densely packed. It worked well, but in the end, we decided to use a custom format that falls somewhere in between DER and PER--trying to balance bandwidth and encoding/decoding time.

I don't know of any open-source implementations of ASN.1 PER, but I haven't looked hard. There are a couple commercial implementations you could use.

Ray Lischner,
Senior Member of Technical Staff
133 National Business Pkwy, Ste 150         t. 443.539.3448
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701                c. 301.377.7390
rlischner at proteus-technologies.com          f. 443.539.3370

This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contain information which may be privileged and/or proprietary. The information is intended for use solely by the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please advise the sender by reply email or by telephone (443.539.3400) and delete the message.