[xsd-users] Q on Binary Serialization

Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar sbalasub at qualcomm.com
Tue Feb 19 17:22:56 EST 2008

Hi,

I have a question for folks using XSD with custom binary serializers.
Have you seen a need for defining types in XSD that would be serialized
in bits over the wire?

For example, let's say I have a userid that would represent 20 bits in
the wire format. I was thinking, I could define xsd data type called
bits which would have length as the wire format.

So here are two questions,

1.	Anyone else trying to write a serializer that supports bit level
packing?
2.	Any generic XSD datatypes to represent the same?

I was thinking of using the boost libraries in conjunction with the
XSD/Code Synthesis to achieve this

http://www.boost.org/libs/dynamic_bitset/dynamic_bitset.html

This would allow us to define all protocol messages in XSD and generate
code for serialization.

Thanks,

Shiva