[xsd-users] Makefile rules.

Bill Pringlemeir bpringle at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 5 14:20:16 EST 2008

On  5 Dec 2008, boris at codesynthesis.com wrote:

> We have considered automatically generating makefile dependencies
> for a long time now. For some reason nobody seems to be interested
> in this feature. Basically, if you have b.xsd include a.xsd, you
> will get something like this for b.xsd:

[snip]

> Let me know if you would be interested in something like this.

I have my makefiles do this using sed, etc.  By using make variable
expansion, you only have to scan the one file.  The other depends will
be chained.

I think that knowing what is a dependency in the generated code is
worth documenting.  Even for 'static' make rules.

If 'a' includes 'b' includes 'c'.  I guess that the complete include
chain is needed.   Ie,

a.cxx a.hxx : a.xsd b.xsd c.xsd

It is fairly easy for people to make static make rules or script their
own to do this dynamically.  All of the caveats that XSD would have to
handle can be implicit in the makefiles...  That is probably why no
one has requested it.

fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.

--
Finish your beer -- there are sober people in China!