[xsd-users] Questions on few features.

Balasubramanyam, Shivakumar sbalasub at qualcomm.com
Tue Jul 17 05:08:16 EDT 2007

Folks,

I have been pretty happy with the tool so far and really like the
generated code. I was able to perform XML-C++-XML back for few schema
files. I have few questions on some of the features.

1.	-extern-xmlschema.

I have xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
schemaLocation="./xml.xsd"/> which generates a #include "xml.hxx" but
also generates the

Namespace xml_schema and all the fundamental XML types.

To avoid this I added -extern-xmlschema="xml.xsd' which also generates
#include "xml.hxx".

This is not a problem but I just want to make sure if am using the right
options.

2.	What is the need for -root-element options? What are the cost of
having of -root-element-all versus just one that you *really* want?

3.	I have not seen the implementation of the serialization. Does
the ostream serialization depend on XERCES? I mean can we disable XERCES
dependency but still generate XML documents for logging purposes. I know
-generate-otream generates can be used but the format is not structured.

4.	This is more to solve above point in a more generic way. Has
there been any thoughts on decoupling the C++ objects that represent the
XSD datatypes separate from feature supports like serialization or XML
parsing etc.

Thanks,

Shiva