[xsd-users] compliation error

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Jan 9 12:05:35 EST 2007

Hi Othman,

Othman Fathy <othman.fathy at gmail.com> writes:

> the problem when I compile this generated c++ files with gcc 3.3.1 I got
> the  attached errors
> Did anybody have this problem?
>
> [...]
>
> 3.3.1-mingw32/include/c++/3.3.1/streambuf:738: error: no
>   type named `pos_type' in `struct std::char_traits<wchar_t>'

Implementation of the Standard C++ library that comes with g++
(libstdc++) does not support wchar_t on mingw (and cygwin), see
this page for more information:

http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/wide%20characters

There are a couple of ways in which you can address this:

1. Use char instead of wchar_t. You can still handling Unicode
   by using UTF-8 as an encoding.

2. Use a different Standard C++ library. STLPort is known to
   work. The build of XSD compiler itself uses this approach
   as described in the build instructions for Windows:

   http://www.codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/extras/build-windows.xhtml