[xsd-users] automating xsd build from source

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Nov 15 23:50:12 EST 2006

Hi Harish,

Harish Prasad <harish_tak at yahoo.com> writes:

>      I downloaded XSD and it's prerequisites packages on my Linux machine
>  and followed the build document for Unix provided on codesynthesis website.

I assume you know that there are pre-built binaries that you can use.

> Does anybody have automated way of doing entire xsd build including
> installation of prerequisites packages ?

We've though about it and even tried to do it with some parts of the
configuration process. The hard part is to figure out how to conveniently
supply such non-interactive configuration information to the build
process. One way that we played with is to use make variables on the
command line, e.g.,

$ make cxx_options=-Wall cxx_pp_options=-DNDEBUG

There are several problems with this approach:

1. Things quickly become messy as the number of variables on the command
   line increase. This can be overcome with a config file that is included
   into the build process, e.g,:

   $ cat >my-config

   cxx_options=-Wall
   cxx_pp_options=-DNDEBUG

   $ make config=my-config

2. It will be hard to avoid name conflicts in such configuration variables
   for individual libraries. This is a much harder problem to solve. One
   idea is to provide config files for each individual library:

   $ make libcult_config=my-libcult-config