[xsd-users] Re: [xsstl-users] Failed to use http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd with the xds tool

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Sun Jul 2 14:41:11 EDT 2006

Hi David,

First off, this a wrong mailing list ;-). xsstl-users is for XSSTL -
XML Schema Standard Type Library. You probably want to use xsd-users
for XSD (I've CC'ed xsd-users to this reply).

David Eriksson <david at 2good.nu> writes:

> I recently downloaded xds 2.1.1 and started experimenting a bit.
>
> Out of curiosity I tried to generate C++ code for
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd but it didn't go very well.
>
> First it complained a lot about the DTD defintions, so I removed the
> DOCTYPE entry and continued.
>
> It also complained about "'http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd' is not a
> valid filesystem path" so I downloaded that file and provided the file
> system path instead.
>
> After that, I get each of the following error messages at least once. I
> have removed dups for brevity:
>
> [...]
>
> It looks like all of the errors are issues with the XML Schema itself,
> am I right?

This sort of question pops up periodically on the xmlschema-dev
mailing list. The thing is XMLSchema.xsd is not really a valid
XML Schema definition and as such is pretty useless. W3C people
say it is not normative and is just for illustration.

If you want to play with some real-world schemas, I suggest you
take a look at the "Supported Standards and Schemas" page:

http://codesynthesis.com/projects/xsd/extras/supported-schemas.xhtml

It lists quite a few schemas from various industries.