[xsd-users] xsd port to Borland C++

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Tue Feb 21 09:59:38 EST 2006

Hi,

Si Mohammed KHABBAZ <skhabbaz at noos.fr> writes:

> I'm trying to compile xsd 1.9.0 under "Borland C++ 5.6.4". I had some
> compilers internal errors at the begining (mainly due to templates) that

<rant>

No, this is not due to templates, it is due to Borland C++ not being
able to properly support most basic C++ constructs in 2006, 8 years
since the official standard was published. I don't understand why
someone would pay money for something so broken when there are decent
alternatives available for free: VC++ 2005 Express Edition (as in beer)
and GCC (as in speech).

</rant>

I guess you have your reasons.

> The compiler does not recognize the other "name" methods when the
> "struct name" is defined. As a workaround I renamed the "struct name"
> into "struct _name" but afterwords I had to replace all the occurences
> of the old "name::" scope. Actually, I'm planning to use xsd with a
> large xsd schema and it's important that I do not have to rewrite the
> generated code.

I can imagine. We cannot implement this workaround in our mapping because
of it's potential for conflicts. Imagine a schema like this:

<complexType>
  <sequence>
    <element name="name" type="string"/>
    <element name="_name" type="string"/>
  </sequence>
</complexType>

With your workaround the compiler will produce invalid code. This might
be acceptable in your particular case, however.

> My question is : "Is there anything I can do (command line, work over
> the xsd schema, etc.) so the generated code comes with the workarount
> that I used ?"

Hm, the only way I can think of is to change code generators to implement
your workaround. You can do it yourself or we can do it for you as a custom
development service on commercial basis.