[xsd-users] Getting at the autopointers

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Wed Nov 16 09:05:35 EST 2005

Giles,

COPE, Giles, FM <Giles.COPE at rbos.com> writes:

> That's it exactly, we want to detach the sub-trees and manage the object
> lifetimes ourselves. We thought we might be able to
> avoid copying the data as there will be a substantial amount of it. We'll do
> the copy and if performance is
> an issue we should be able to modify the libxsd include files to gain access
> to the auto pointers and release
> them without copying.

That sounds like a reasonable idea. Though note that the original tree
after such "decomposition" won't be in a consistent state. The only safe
thing you could do to is to destroy it. Furthermore, if you keep DOM
association (in which case the root of the tree is responsible for
destroying the DOMDocument), the "detached" sub-tree will refer to
destroyed DOM nodes.

If you find that performance is really an issue, let us know and we will
try to think of a cleaner solution.

> Btw, I'm sure everyone's wondering what plans you have for xsd 1.7?

Well, with the release of 1.6.0 we pretty much covered all major XML
Schema mechanisms. The next major feature is going to be a compete
C++/Tree mapping documentation. There are also some relatively-minor
features that we are working on (mostly in C++/Parser mapping) as
well as a number of bug fixes. So there will be a 1.7.0 release in
a 2-3 weeks time frame as well as a "plans for 1.7.0"-type of
announcement some time beginning of the next week ;-).

Are you having any particular features in mind that you would like
to see implemented?