[libcutl-users] Building libcutl-1.7.1: No rule to make target `INSTALL', needed by `all-am'.

skh skh1002 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 14:24:37 EDT 2013

	Hi Boris,

Thank you for your reply. After receiving it, I tried to do everything
from scratch and this time it worked. I am not sure what the reason was
for the make error before, but I made two changes (maybe, I should have
tried them one by one, though): I used gcc 4.8 instead of llvm and I ran
configure in a folder different from the libcutl source. I did try gcc and
make fell out the same way, but I had not re-created the source folder
from scratch before doing that. In my experience, many packages don¹t like
configure run in their source folder, so this is my current theory.

This is what did not work for me:

- unzip the file ³libcutl-1.7.1.zip² to ~/Developer/libcutl-1.7.1
- cd ~/Developer/libcutl-1.7.1
- ./configure --prefix=/usr/odb
- make

This is what finally worked:

- unzip the file ³libcutl-1.7.1.zip² to ~/Developer/libcutl-1.7.1
- cd ~/Developer/libcutl-1.7.1 && mkdir build && cd build
- export PATH=/usr/gcc-4.8.0/bin:$PATH
- ../configure CXX=g++-4.8 CPP=cpp-4.8 CC=gcc-4.8 --prefix=/usr/odb
- make
- sudo make install

I have another comment/question about installing odb, but I am sending it
as a separate message

	Thank you again,
	S.